Monday, January 24, 2011

And the holidays are over...

Finally my 2 month holidays are over. Damn! There's so much I wanted to do! like go to Goa with my friends, do an internship, learn about the share market and most importantly study for GRE!!! ( Bah! As if I was gonna study!! :P ) But I suppose this vacation was the most unpredictable one for me! Did some really good things but some stupid things too!
On the first day of the holidays, I went on a road trip to Kashid with my college friends.(Read my previous post!)
Then I went on a 12 day trip to my village Valaval which I was so badly trying to avoid, well, because I thought it would be pretty boring there but I was proved wrong! Infact I enjoyed so much I think I'll go there again sometime! Firstly, there's no network coverage! So you are free of that bloody cell fone! Trust me, you are at peace! Then there was my cousin's wedding. Most of the time went in it's preparations. Got to travel to Malvan four times! If you are a non-vegetarian, you are so gonna love malvani food!!


Then I visited the beaches. I swear the beaches were so clean and well maintained, you wouldn't believe how much natural beauty is there in Maharshtra. I got a video of one particular beach viz. Sagareshwar beach.

At the last day there was a bhajan session at our house. I never listen to marathi songs, but when you listen to a live bhajan performance, the ambience it creates transforms your mood and soon you start enjoying it!
You must have heard about the mimosa plant in school, it closes it's leaves as soon as you touch it. Well, I got to see pretty much of them at my village. Here's a video of it!

I reached Mumbai on 31st night just 2 hours before New year eve. Celebrated the new year with my bestfriend Ivan, drinking and talking all night. That was pretty much it.

On 3rd Jan  I joined an NGO, Akanksha Institute, which works basically towards educating underpriveleged children in India. I was assigned to work at Abhudaynagar Akansha School. My friend Adil had suggested about doing social work. At first, I was skeptic about the whole idea. But eventually after getting to know the kids and the teachers there, I blended in the school's atmosphere easily. Even though some of my friends ridiculed me for doing it, my true friends and even parents encouraged me to do it. Teaching english to 1st std. kids was fun. But reading out stories to them, listening them chatter and most surprisingly hearing them sing..."Machali jal ki rani hai, sheela ki jawani hai..." was super fun. Within 2 days I knew each kid by name and became good friends with them. Even though my initial motive was just getting a social work certificate, my whole thinking changed when I actually started enjoying teaching the kids.



During the lunch time.


I feel all of you should do some kind of social work in life, because the joy of giving fills your heart and soul with so much peace and contentment, you start to believe you can change the world even by doing whatever little you can! Sadly my college begins tomorrow, so I could work there for only 3 weeks. But I have promised some of the kids I would come back again during my next vacation. I think I'll keep that promise. : )

Well that was most of what I did in my vacation. Ah yes, how can I forget those delicious muffins and choco lava cakes that Chinky (Ashmita) made!! Damn they were so yummy! I think I'll try to make them myself someday!!!

See for yourself what amazing stuff that woman can make!! Just follow the link... Chinky's blog!

That's all for now...I'll see ya when I see ya. Bbye. :)
-Mithil

2 comments:

Ivan said...

All's good till you say you are gonna try to make cake yourself. I don't think I'm gonna stand the damnation of it.

Mithil Haldankar said...

haha when i make one, i'll make sure u dont get to eat any :P